Here’s some fun facts about Friday the 13th for your superstitious entertainment!
- Fear of Friday the 13th actually has a name! See if you can pronounce it, “paraskavedekatriaphobia.”
- About 10% of the U.S. population has this fear.
- There is no clear reason why Friday the 13th became known as such an unlucky day, there actually is no mention of the day being unlucky before the 19th century.
- There can only be three Friday the 13th’s in one single year and there will be at least one every year. Next year in 2018 we have two. April 13 and July 13.
- In order for there to be a Friday the 13th the month must begin on a Sunday.
- On October 13th 1989 (a Friday) exactly 28 years ago, was the second worst crash in Stock Market history.
- Because so many people fear the day, businesses actually experience huge profit losses on Friday the 13th.
- It’s actually a great day to get good deals on flights, hotels and wedding venues!
- Tupac Shakur died on Friday September 13, 1996. He died in the hospital a few days after he had been shot on the Las Vegas strip.
- Otis Elevator reports that 85% of elevators don’t have a 13th floor button.
- The Excalibur hotel in Las Vegas does have a 13th floor. Hauntaholics was lucky enough to get to stay there during our annual Vegas trip in September 2017.
- Alfred Hitchcock, the master of suspense, was born on Friday August 13, 1899.
- Taylor Swift considers 13 her lucky number. She was born December 13, 1989, she turned 13 on Friday the 13th and she signed her first record deal at 13 years old.
Hope you enjoyed our list of fun Friday the 13th facts!
Source credits include: